A) Biology Programme
The Biology Programme is designed to equip the students with the practical uses of biological knowledge and to inculcate in the students an entrepreneurial and problem-solving ability. It emphasizes technologies and applications relevant to biology-based industries and institutions such as biomedical, pharmaceutical, biotechnological, and food industries and the environment. The aim is to make the training relevant to the society, for example, in the conservation of natural habitats and endangered species or reducing the effects of environmental pollution, and so on.
The specific objectives of Biology Programme are as follows:
- To stimulate appreciation of the science of Biology and its diverse applications.
- To provide the students with a broad, sound and balanced knowledge in a range of areas of basic Biology, Applied Biology and Biotechnology in a stimulating and supportive environment that is enriched by research.
- To prepare the students for teaching in basic Biology and for post-graduate research work in Biology/Applied Biology/Biotechnology or other Biology-related discipline.
- To inculcate in the students the knowledge and skills needed for self -employment.
B) Microbiology Programme
The Microbiology Programme is designed to provide the students with a thorough, broad and balanced foundation in a growing and expanding field of Microbiology. The Programme is aimed at preparing students for career opportunities in an environment whereby they could be creative, innovative and self-reliant.
The specific objectives of Microbiology Programme are as follows:
- To provide the students with an intellectually stimulating and satisfying learning experience in this exciting subject.
- To provide the students with appropriate laboratory skills and field experience.
- To inculcate in the students an entrepreneurial and problem-solving attitude.
- To provide the students with the knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed for further studies in the specialized areas of Microbiology or multi-disciplinary areas involving Microbiology.
- To prepare the students for careers in agriculture, medical fields, environmental studies, research institutes, industries and even for self- employment.